1. A. We have learned so much but the world is still veiled in mystery.
B. Though we have learned so much, the world is still veiled in mystery.
2. A. At the very moment that mankind discovered the secret of surviving the catastrophe the comet destroyed the Earth.
B. Hardly had mankind discovered the secret of surviving the catastrophe when the comet destroyed the Earth.
3. A. As soon as Rama lit the lamp the wind blew it out.
B. No sooner had Rama lit the lamp when the wind blew it out.
4. A. India is more varied in race, climate, and geography than most other countries.
B. Few countries are more varied in race, climate and geography than India.
5. A. Some planes are bigger than the jumbo jet.
B. The jumbo jet is bigger than most planes.
6. A. To be born a King and have reigned for forty-six years and then to be dethroned.
B. How sad it is to be born a King and have reigned for forty-six years and then to be dethroned.
7. A. Of all subjects Rashid is most interested in Psychology.
B. No other subject interests Rashid more than Psychology.
8. A. If the monarchs had learnt the values of democracy in the last century, they would not have lost their position.
B. Had the monarchs had learnt the values of democracy in the last century, they would not have lost their position.
9. A. He thought well of my mental process and was always very kind to me.
B. Always he was kind to me and thought well of my mental process.
10. A. If you cannot face the principal, Parul will have to.
B. Either you or Parul will have to face the principal.
1. People should always fight for their rights.
2. Rohini is leaning against the door.
3. Look at the time, I didn’t realize it was almost noon.
4. I always write with a pencil.
5. Its a long queue and I have to wait for my turn.
6. The batsman hit the ball so hard that it went over the heads of the fielders.
7. Rishav is related to my aunt.
8. Madhu is afraid of foxes.
9. He has nimble fingers and it proves that he is cut out to be a surgeon.
10. The beggar is resting under the shade of the ruined building.
One day, when on a solitary hunt Atlanta found herself facing centaurs. Half human, half horse creatures that they were, they believed that the sight of them itself would scare the young girl alone in the forest. They decided to have some cruel fun at her expense. They came down the hill screamed and laughing in a chilling manner. But Atlanta did not run. She calmly stood her ground, took aim with a deadly bronze tipped arrow, attached to her bow and shot at the first centaur coming towards her. Even before the first arrow had hit its mark, she aimed and shot at the second centaur. The arrows pierced both centaurs in their hearts. They lay motionless at her feet.
1. Object made in bygone era – antiques
2. Systematic list of items – catalogue
3. Unlawfully – illegally
4. Without mistake, perfectly – accurately
1. Spoils – the dog always spoils the room whenever we step out.
2. Spear – the spear of a broccoli is good for health.
3. Hides – she always hides in the vineyard, near the cemetery.
4. Bid – they were extremely sad to bid farewell to their seniors.
1. What are auctions?
A.1. Auctions are sales in which a large variety of goods, such as coffee, hides, wines, pictures, art, old china, are sold by an officially approved auctioneer to the highest bidder. It originated in Ancient Roman.
2. Describe a typical auction?
A.2. A typical auction is well advertised by printing a fully detailed catalogue. The auctioneer encourages buyers to bid and names the highest bidder as the buyer. When the auctioneer bangs a small hammer on the table ot signifies that the bidding has ended. This is called ‘knocking down ‘ the goods.
3. How were Roman auctions different from those held in 18th and 19th century England?
A.3. In Rome, the spoils of war were auctioned by a spear. The spear was struck in the ground, as a sign for people to gather.Whereas in the England of the eighteenth and nineteenth century goods were auctioned ‘by the candle’.Where
4. Why is it called that an auctioneer has a direct interest in pushing up the bidding as high as possible?